Wednesday, March 18, 2009

40 is Fabulous

Remember when you were in high school and you looked at your parents in their 40's and thought they were ancient? I can't believe I'm there. Surely I'm not as old at 40 as they were at 40. Well, you'd think that 40 would bring some kind of HUGE celebration, but I didn't really end up having much planned. On Friday, the 13th, (I'm not pointing out the date because I'm superstitious. That was just the date.) I had a meeting in Chicago, so Richard went with me and we went out for lunch. That was really going to be the extent of it as far as I knew. I had book club that night and I didn't want to miss it because it's always fun. And surprise, surprise. . .when I got there there was a big party planned for all of us who had a March birthday and because mine was the 40th everyone dressed in black and gave me "40 things". . . like 40 suckers, 40 stickers, 40 chocolate covered pretzels, etc. It was really fun. I have a great ward with so many wonderful women that I get to call friends now. We have a lot of fun together. Thank you Plainfield Ward.

So, the next day (real birthday) I was planning on taking it easy and doing anything I wanted. Which is pretty much what I did. The little girls made me breakfast in bed (with Richard's help, of course). . .yummy omlet and fresh fruit. So I lounged in bed for a while before getting up. Then I took an at home spa day, leisurely bath, facial, pedicure, everything. And when I got done with that I did something I haven't done in a while. I wanted to play Rock Band, uninterrupted, 'til I was blind, deaf, and dumb. And just to get in the mood, I put on the 80's make-up (yes, lots of eyeliner), did my hair a little bigger than usual, got out the AC/DC t-shirt, and turned up the volume as loud as I dared. I guess it was my mini-mid-life-crisis. I don't foresee I big need to do that very often, but it was pretty fun. When I started getting kinda bleary eyed I let Maddie join me. We have fun together. Richard played a very important role in the day. He kept all children occupied and entertained so I could have my day of solitude. It was a marvelous gift and a fabulous day.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Joni said...

Wow, sounds like a rockin' day. ;)

And I see you holding that piece of cake, girl! Photographic evidence! Just kidding. You're allowed. I had a piece on Teia's birthday.

I'm still going Jam Shrinky all the way.

I'm glad you had fun. For what it's worth, I don't think you look forty. Also, I can't relate to the whole, "remember when your parents were forty?" thing. I wasn't even born yet. WEIRD. Can you imagine having a baby right now who had never witnessed a thing in your life before this point?

Sandra said...

You are such a detective. Ya little stinker! I'm still on it though. I'm feeling good this week.
Yes, I knew you wouldn't exactly relate to that example. It would be strange to have another one right now. I can't even imagine it. Yet, I know several people my age that are still having babies. WOW! More power to em.

LBBlum said...

Happy Birthday!
you make 40 look good!
Such a cute - spunky - mama!

LBBlum said...

flat lauren arrived yesterday!!!

Brooke said...

Crap! I am an entire month behind on wishing you happy birthday. You know I love you, though, right? Good. xxoo