Friday, December 7, 2007

Persimmon Update

WARNING!! Do not eat them!!-- even if you get really tempted to try it. Just don't. EUWWWWW!! So, here's how it went. I cut it open when it was looking nice and ripe (just guessing of course, because I don't have a lot of experience with them.) It looked innocent enough; safe and harmless with its pink innards just soft enough to bite into. I got the idea from the internet that you could eat it raw like an apple. Which just goes to show that you can't trust the internet info. all the time. I bit into it and immediately there was a coating in my mouth that was making my lips stick to my teeth in kind of a squeaky way. I felt like I need to stretch my mouth out, and drinking water did not alleviate the problem. As for the taste, I'm not really sure. It was probably okay, but I was so overwhelmed with the feeling of it in my mouth that I didn't even pay attention to the taste. I think it would have been okay though, if only there was a way to get past the lip shrinking experience. Bottom line--if someone gives you persimmons, either throw them away immediately, or find a nice cookie recipe for them. The cookies were really good. Really, really good now that I know what they started out as.

4 comments:

Brooke said...

Thanks for the tip. Yucky.

Joni said...

What the heck is a persimmon?

Cloves said...

Feels like it dries your teeth out right? I think everyone has to learn the hard way.

Jeff in Korea said...

Ok.. WAY late for this post, but here it goes. Two decent ways to eat a persimmon:

1. When it is still hard, before it gets soft at all, while it is still crunchy. It should have a nice, sweet flavor.MAKE SURE YOU PEEL IT.. The icky feeling comes from the skin. Do NOT eat the skin.

2. Wait until it is WAY over ripe. it will be deep orange-red, very soft and mushy. The skin will be almost translucent... then stick in in the freezer for a could of days until it is rock hard. When you are ready to eat it, take in out of the freezer. As soon as it gets just soft enough to peel the skin, do it. Peel the skin back just a bit, then spoon the frozen fruit out and eat it like ice cream.

EVERYONE in Korea eats tons of persimmons in the summer.