Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Flagrant Vocab.

I just came across a list I made a couple of months ago. I made this list as I was reading the bio of a former classmate in high school. Yes, he's a smart guy. He became a doctor, a concert pianist, won some fancy humanitarian award in Paris, has the body of a god, is still active in the LDS church, and these seem to be just a few of his many accomplishments. His wife is, of course, a goddess and they have the quintessentially perfect Mormon family. He happens to live in the Lake Tahoe/Reno area. I am possibly the former classmate in closest proximity to him and feel honored that I spoke with him a few times in high school. (I'm not worthy:) )
Okay, the list. . .
As I was reading his bio I kept coming across words that I had to admit I didn't know the meaning of. Does he use these words in regular, everyday conversation? or was he referring to a thesaurus while writing the bio? You decide.
Word 1) ubiquitous
I have come across this word a few times in reading and was able to determine its meaning because of the context of its usage, but I'm pretty sure I've never spoken the word (working vocabulary < vocabulary comprehension)
Word 2) flagrante delicto
I was able to understand this based on the context of its usage also, but don't think I've ever heard it or seen it before. Anyone?
Word 3) hegemony
Okay, I had no idea and now that it's been a couple of months since looking it up, I still can't remember.
Word 4) prognathism
I remember what this means from looking it up, but who actually uses this word even for its real meaning. It's worth the extra effort to say "protruding jaw".
Come back tomorrow and I will post the definitions if you're interested. Let me see if I can post a picture of Mr. Chris Perfect Degn.

1 comment:

Cloves said...

Honestly, #4 is the only one I haven't heard in conversation before. All good words, but also somewhat pretentious. But perfect people are like that.