Tuesday, March 18, 2008

My Birthday in Chicago


Thank you to all Birthday well-wishers. I got cards and texts and emails. More than I remember getting in many a birthday. Thank you so much. It's nice to be remembered on my first 39th birthday.
Thanks to Mom and Dad who came for a visit and watched the kids I was able to go to Chicago for my birthday. It was pretty great. I flew into town and Richard picked me up. We spent the day walking around Chicago, seeing the sights and getting a feel for the city. This included going to the top of the Sears Tower which is a very similar experience to going to the top of the Space Needle in Seattle. I never really know quite what to do when I get up there. You look down, say, "Wow" and then what? Next time I do something like that I'm taking a lunch so I have something to do up there. But, now I can say I've done it. WooHoo for me. :)
We stayed at the Hampton Inn downtown so we headed back to get ready for the show, but I decided not to change or anything. I took a little nap instead. Then we walked over to the Ford Theater to see Wicked. I'm not sure I can express my feelings about this show. I'd been wanting to see it for years. I've been listening to the music, I've read the book, I've watched nearly everyone I know go and see it, and the anticipation did not spoil one bit of it. The Lord has blessed me many times in my life and this was no exception. Richard got the best seats in the house (7 rows back and dead center) and the seat in front of me was empty!!! I felt like I could have watched it for 10 hours straight and never tired. Throughout the show I would have an onset of tears of pure joy and happiness. At the end I just stood there having a *Space Mountain Moment x 20. I loved it so much that I couldn't stop the tears. They were just dripping off my chin. I wasn't even wearing water-proof mascara, so I had to sit and compose myself afterward. I looked a mess, but I was so exhilarated that I didn't care much. (Oh, who am I kidding, I don't usually anyway.)
The next day, we drove into Naperville and looked for homes. There are plenty to choose from, but we didn't make any decisions. Richard will probably end up finding something on his own like he usually does. He has a pretty good idea of what is important to me, so I think he'll do a good job.
Then, back to his place for my big birthday gift. This is the gift he has been talking up for weeks. He has been so excited to give me this gift. He told my friends what it was and none of them would tell me. It's had quite a build up and he assured me that it would not disappoint. So what was this incredible, purely satisfying, worth-the-wait gift? Drum roll please. . . . . . . . . . a towel warmer. Yes, that's right. I will never again have to get out of the shower to a room temperature towel. Everyday it feels like it's hot right out of the dryer. This is, for sure, the most frivolous gift I have ever received. I didn't even know there was such a thing, but Richard knows how comforts like this make me so happy. He truly tries to think of ME when buying gifts. He's really good that way. Thank you, Hon.

*A Space Mountain Moment refers to the time I went to Disneyland and they had a special feature of the Red Hot Chili Peppers playing in the ride and a cool light show going on inside. I was the only one who would go on the ride and the thrill of it was so intense that I cried tears of happiness and excitement all by myself throughout the ride. ie. a feeling of succumbing to one's emotions without the ability to control oneself.

5 comments:

Joni said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. I had the same reaction. That sounds like a grand birthday indeed.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Brooke said...

Happy Birthday dear Sandra!!!!!!!!!!!! Love the towel warmer gift! You deserve all the finest things!

Erin said...

I'm so happy that you got to go see Wicked for your birthday. I just posted on our blog about our great time at the show in LA too--I loved it! Happy Birthday to you! I love the term "My first 39th birthday."
(I have to add though, I was really disappointed when I finally got to go on Space Mountain again...finally wasn't pregnant or having little ones tag along...and it was during the Red Hot Chili Peppers "special event" and I didn't like it nearly as much as the normal way. Am I crazy?)

Sandra said...

Erin-- yes, totally crazy. That light show beats the flying chocolate chip cookie anytime.