Thursday, September 4, 2008

We love you Dennis

On Friday night we had VIP tickets to Naperville's Last Fling party with the big entertainment of the evening being Dennis DeYoung and the music of Stxy (which was really just his new local band that plays all the old Styx songs). My kids are the latest and greatest fans of Styx. Here's why:
While driving from Sacramento to Utah through the mountains and deserts where you have no radio reception you are forced to listen to CD's in your car (because we don't have any ipod/car hook-ups). And since everything got packed away before I thought to grab any out, we were left with whatever happened to be in the car. And the choices were. . .The GO-Go's, Buddy Holly, Harry Connick Jr. in the Pajama Game, primary songs, Kelly Clarkson, James Blunt, Grease soundtrack, Pure 70's and Styx. Yes, I'm a nerd. Well, we listened to the Go-Go's and Kelly and then someone picked Styx. Once it was in it didn't come out. In fact, I think it's still in and my kids have memorized every word of every song.
The weird part is that they were in Logan on the 4th of July and we wanted to go, but didn't quite get it together. We were all so sad because we really felt like we had prepared ourselves quite well for that opportunity; almost like they were there just for us----and then we missed it. So when it came around this time, we were so excited. Everyone was loving it that my kids could sing every word.
So here are some interesting facts about Dennis that I learned at the concert.
1. He is 61 and still rocks the house. Seriously, he looks great.
2. He drove to the concert because he lives about 25 min. away from Naperville (pretty close to us).
3. He is married to his high-school sweetheart and has been married for 38 years. They got together when he was 17 and she was 15. She was there. She sings back-up for him now.

Ellie's favorite song is Mr. Roboto and he had the mask at the concert. She was thrilled.
I really need to carry my camera with me more. I'm sad that I didn't get any pictures of this great night.

7 comments:

Cloves said...

So the Styx love is genetic then? 'Cause I can't tell you how much trouble I am in for not having the same level of "appreciation" for them as others in this family.

Sandra said...

I think it's Weston's fault. Royce and I were subjected to it so much as children in our formative years that it just kinda stuck. And now look what I've done, I'm doing the same thing to my own children. Oh, stop the insanity. When will the cycle end? I think it's because they are Devil worshippers and people are left to the whims of their subliminal messages. We're being forced to listen for the rest of our lives. JK :) Just a little Styx humor there for you. Seriously, Christina, give them a try. You may find that you just can't stop yourself from singing along.

Cloves said...

I may have found an antidote.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOWK7Tam01M&feature=related

Sandra said...

Okay, that was just sad. I'm hoping it fades from my memory soon. Was is funny? I just don't get it. Certainly not a sing-a-long though. However, I did just watch Mamma Mia sing-a-long version. Now that was a sweet time--singing in the theater. you gotta give that a try.

JeanieB said...

I think in the nature vs. nuture debate, Styx love is nurture. Thanks to Royce and Joni, I am a die hard Styx fan too. Interestingly, there was a Styx song playing on the radio at work the other day (can't remember which song), and my co-worker stated "This radio station is awful!" I didn't really say anything, but I thought to myself, "My cousin's would not want to hear you say that." Glad you had a great time at the concert. - Jeanie

Joni said...

Awesome! Wish I could have been there. If I had to pick between seeing Dennis or Tommy, I'd choose Dennis. (But you know I'd see Tommy if I could)

Brooke said...

Thank you for your insights into the personal life of Mr. Styx. (can't remember his name...) I have a whole new appreciation for him! Maybe you'll run into him at the mall sometime. Take your camera!!!