Saturday, February 6, 2010

Ooey, Gooey Birthday Party

Hooray! Lauren is 9 and her party is over! Lauren has always been unique. . . individual . . . and proud to be so. While I love this about her, it also drives me crazy sometimes. She also LOVES everything messy; the messier the better. Well, it's party year at our house, so Lauren's idea of a perfect party is an "Ooey, Gooey Party". Can you imagine what this is? This is a party where you get together with 7 of your best friends and make things like Ooblek, and Glop, and play with Gak, Noise putty, silly putty, Floam, and a variety of other gooey things. Then, you watch a "scary" Goosebumps movie and sleep over. Then you get up and make name pancakes with everyone. Unfortunately I don't have a single picture. It was a full time, hands on job managing this event. Of course, Richard did his job by getting as far away from this as possible. . . all the way to Pheonix. Then, Maddie ended up being a huge help (NOT) by going to a movie with her friends. Thank heavens for Emma.
The kids all seemed to love it. They all wanted the recipes and declared this party as the BEST birthday they'd ever been to and many decided they wanted an Ooey, Gooey party this year. That made me laugh.
The pictures we do have are of the night before when we went to Red Robin as a family.
Just in case you want an ooey gooey event I'll post the recipes. I really don't suggest this as a sleep over. It's a bit too much.

Glop

4 oz. bottle of white glue
2 liter bowl
1 pt. distilled water (I didn't use distilled and it worked fine)
Borax powder
Food coloring

Pour glue into a bowl. Fill the glue bottles with water, shake and pour into the bowl. Add 1 C. water and food coloring. Stir. Add Borax 1 tsp. at a time and stir until glop starts to form. Take glop out as you see it forming and continue to add Borax to the remaining mixture.

This really is fun to play with.

Ooblek

1 1/2 C. cornstarch
1 C. water
food coloring

mix together and see the magic. Tap it hard and it feels like a solid, set your fingers on it and it feels like a liquid. Add extra water the next day and it's still lots of fun.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Joni said...

Happy Birthday Lauren!

Did you make that cake?! Completely impressed.

My cake making skills seem to be going by the wayside. :(

Sandra said...

I did make the cake. It was fun trying to make it look cute and gooey at the same time.

Brooke said...

OH! This is an awesome idea! I love it!!!!!! I might steal it for Jake's birthday this week. (Minus the sleepover!)

I love you, Sandra. Can't wait to try the shower cleaning trick tomorrow...

Erin said...

I'm totally trying that shower cleaning trick. Cleaning the shower is absolutely one of my least favorite chores (Give me a pre-fab shower over a grouted tile shower anyday).
I have certainly copied your birthday party ideas in the past and may just do so again with an Ooey Gooey party. The bigger girls don't get parties this year, but Camille does. I'd never attempt the slumber party but do you think the rest of this would be manageable with 3- and 4-year olds, or too crazy?
Thanks for all your helpful blogging! Oh, and I like your hair in this family picture. Hope you're enjoying MO.

Sandra said...

Erin, I would say the only way to do this with young kids would be to have a grown up at most all of the stations. Some may not need it, but most will. The kids really did have fun with this.

Margie said...

So cute and perfect for Lauren. I certainly wouldn't do it as a sleep over most especially because we have learned that sleep overs are terrible on many levels so we NEVER allow them anymore. Maybe some day Lauren can come for a snake party. They are the latest craze.