Monday, April 12, 2010

Ellie's 7th Birthday



Well, the big Fairy Party is finally over and we can now return to life as we know it. It was actually a fun party to plan and put together, but it ended up being a lot of work. Here's what we did.
As the kids arrived I had Maddie sitting at the fairy transformation booth where they could get fairy (lip) gloss, fairy dust (body glitter), and nail stickers.
Then they went to the table to decorate their goody bags.
These were just time fillers to wait for everyone to arrive.
When all were present we started making our fairy skirts.
I had strips of tulle and sheer fabrics and taught them how to "tie" them to their elastic. They did a great job actually. I was quite pleased.
Then we had a fairy freeze dance to Tinkerbell soundtrack songs. Maddie was the DJ. She found the perfect music. Thank you, Maddie.

Then it was picture time. I had everyone pose against our fairy garden backdrop which was designed and painted by our family. Everyone helped, but I ended up doing most of the painting. This was the item that I started wondering why I thought it was going to be a good idea. Just FYI, if you are ever going to do a fairy party, go ahead and buy the fairy backdrop from WalMart for $18.00 and forget about this.

Time for outdoor games. Luckily the weather was PERFECT! I couldn't have asked for a nicer day. I told them a story about watching stars the night before and seeing a couple of stars fly right across our yard and something was falling to the ground. I finally figured out that it must have been the tooth fairy and the gem fairy, because it looked like coins and jewels that were falling. The kids were totally eating this up. I just love how their imaginations can make these things seem real. So, they took their bags to go look for "fairy treasure" (candy coins and jolly ranchers). They decided that it must have been candy fairies that I saw, because they only found candy. I loved it.
The next game we played was Fairy Freeze Tag. One girl had a yellow (fly) wand and another had a blue (freeze) wand. If the blue wand got you, you were frozen, if the yellow wand got you, you could "fly". We just took turns getting the wands (about 2 minutes each). They loved this too.
Then we played Fairy Godmother, May I. I was the Fairy Godmother. I'm sure you can figure this one out.
Time to eat. On the menu was:
Fairy Fizz- pink lemonade with 7-up
Fairy Wands- pretzels dipped in pink candy coating and sparkle sugar
Fairy Bread- bread and butter, cut in shapes sprinkled with sparkle sugar
Fruit Bouquet
Jelly Bean Jewels
and Taquitos (because it was dinner time and they needed something real to eat.)
Then Cake time. Ellie had very specific requests for the cake. It had to be 3 tiered, rainbow swirl, with fairies. So, that's exactly what she got. It was a fun cake to make. Maddie said it was the best cake I ever made-looks and taste! Wow, I don't get compliments like that on my cakes very often. Yay for me!!
Ellie opened presents, we gathered all our take-homes, and then went outside with a bottle of bubbles to wait for parents. It turned out great.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you. When you do these birthday posts, do you just KNOW that I'm going to use your brilliant ideas for a party for one of my girls someday? Because I have in the past, and I'm fully planning on doing it again. We've just wrapped up birthday season around here, but you can bet that one of my fairy-obsessed girls will want a party JUST like this one next year. Too bad I could never make a cake this beautiful!