Thursday, April 22, 2010

White Chicken Chili


2- 15 oz. cans Great Northern white beans, drained OR about 3 C. cooked white beans
4 C. chopped, cooked chicken breasts OR 2 cans of chicken including the broth
1- 7 oz can chopped mild green chilies
1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano, crumbled
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
3 C. grated Monterey Jack cheese (about 12 oz) (I use way less than this.)
2 T. olive oil
1 large onion OR about 1/3 C. dried onion and 1 C. water
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. ground cumin
6 C. chicken stock
sour cream for garnish if you like

Cook and chop chicken. (I usually use canned for convenience.) Heat oil in heavy pot. Add onions and saute about 5 min. Stir in garlic, chilies, cumin, oregano, and cayenne; saute about 5 min. Add beans and stock; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered. Stir occasionally about 2 hours. Add chicken and 1 C. cheese to chili and stir until cheese is melted and chicken is hot. (I usually just throw the chicken in with the rest. I've never noticed it to be a problem). Season to taste with salt and pepper. Top bowls with cheese, sour cream and tortilla chips if desired.

P.S. I have never met anyone who didn't love this.

2 comments:

Erin said...

I recall eating this when you brought it to the Thompson's Christmas party and loving it! I have a similar recipe, but instead of cheese it calls for stirring in heavy cream and sour cream at the end of cooking. F-A-T-T-E-N-I-N-G! Plus, I rarely have the cream on hand so it's harder to make on the spur of the moment. I think I'll try your version instead. Thanks for sharing.

Sandra said...

I originally got this recipe from Jenny Baker. She gave it to me straight out of the ward cookbook that she got it from. I had it first at her house. We've been enjoying it ever since.