Monday, April 26, 2010

Lentil Brownies

These actually turn out more like Texas Sheet Cake. It's not health food, but if you're gonna eat 'em anyway, might as well be getting the nutrients of the beans in.


1/2 C. butter
1 C. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
3 eggs
1 1/4 C. lentils cooked and pureed
1 C. flour
2-3 T. cocoa
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 C. pecans
optional--1 C. mini marshmallows (I add these if I have some that are getting old)

Blend butter, sugar, and vanilla. Add eggs and lentil puree. Mix well.
In a separate bowl combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Gradually blend into egg mixture. Lastly, add the pecans and marshmallows.
Pour into a greased 8" or 9" square pan and bake at 350 for 30-35 min.

Frosting

1/4 C. butter
1/8 C. cocoa
1/8 C milk (add 1 T. if needed)
2 C. powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Combine cocoa, butter, and milk in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Add powdered sugar and vanilla and beat with electric mixer until smooth.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Brooke said...

Holy toledo. You are amazing, Sandra. First of all, to make all this stuff using BEANS, and then to blog about it. You are my inspiration. I can't wait to try them all. So will you send me all of them? Just kidding. I will try to be ambitious and try making them. I think I will start with the chili. It is truly making my mouth water. mmmmmmmm. xxoo

Cloves said...

I've heard mixed reviews on the bean brownies. What do you think?

Also, how much Beano has your family gone through this week?

Sandra said...

Christina, the brownies are excellent. I think some recipes replace the butter with the beans. This one just adds beans. It still has all the unhealthy components, leaving them delicious.
No Beano. We all survived. :0) It really hasn't been bad.