Wednesday, January 16, 2008

My Little Princess

I'm seriously concerned that we (I am referring to all members of my household) have gone a little too far with the fantasy that my youngest child is a princess. It starts out so innocently. They are born so sweet and beautiful that you can't help but begin to refer to them as little princesses. I've done it with all of my girls. But there comes a time when they begin to realize they are just about like everyone else in the world and no matter how hard you try, you can't convince them that they really are special and truly as wonderful as a princess.

I've met the exception. My Ellie really thinks she is a princess. . . and so far we haven't told her otherwise. But she really does have a certain aire about her. It's the way she walks--arms down to the sides with wrists holding "pretty" hands out in an unmistakable princess fashion. It's the attitude--a certain bossyness that only a real princess could get away with. And ever since Christmas, it's the way she sleeps. She had been asking for a sleeping mask (is that what you call them?) for a while because Maddie has one and she really thought it was great. So she got one in her stocking this year. I just laugh every time I go to check on her and there she is, a four year old wearing a sleeping mask. Would anyone but a real princess do that?

2 comments:

Joni said...

I was going to say I can't believe she actually uses it, but I really do believe it.

That is funny.

Cloves said...

You are in so much trouble when she hits puberty. Better you than me. The only "aire" my kids will have will be the stinky kind.