Monday, November 26, 2007

This is the Feast the Kids Made

I'm starting to discover the joy of having your kids grow up. I decided that, rather than make the entire Thanksgiving feast myself, I would have the kids help as much as possible this year. This had three benefits. 1) I didn't have to do all the work. 2) The kids learned some cooking skills. 3) I was hoping they would feel some ownership and pride in the meal and want to eat it. That one didn't happen so much. Oh well.
So, here's how it worked. on Wednesday, Emma made the rolls and Ellie and I made the pumpkin pies. On Thursday, Lauren peeled the potatoes and helped me mash them, Maddie made the stuffing and the cranberry drink, and Elllie and Richard worked on the turkey. All I had to do was put the green bean casserole and the sweet potatoes together. I even cheated and got the sweet potatoes from Schwann's. It was totally easy for me. The kids also made woven placemats for themselves and set the table.
I'm thinking next year they do the whole thing and just let me know when it's time to eat.

No comments: