Friday, May 14, 2010

Medieval Day

Our Middle School does a big Medieval Day celebration every year for the 7th grade. Today was the day. I made Emma's costume a few weeks ago and have been anticipating this fun day possibly as much as (okay, maybe more than) her. I just think she looks so adorable in this costume. There's a little story about the costume. I didn't want to spend a bunch on it, so I borrowed a pattern (thank you, Sara) and soon realized that I didn't have enough of the fabric I thought I'd use for it. So, at last I had a brilliant idea. Why not just use my old wedding dress? I could probably dye it and it would be perfect. So, after discussing it with the girls and finding out that noone wanted to keep it for anything, but finding also that they thought it was improper to cut up a wedding dress (I have no idea why) I chopped it to pieces and used it for the dress. But guess what? The fabric was synthetic and wouldn't take the dye. It just kinda barely tinted it so that it looked kinda greenish, grey. Oh well, it will still do. So there she is wearing a new version of my old wedding dress and looking lovely in it.
Emma participated in the Medieval Chant. She's been going to after-school practices for it for weeks. I really wanted to go, but was getting the feeling from calling the school and from talking with Emma that it just wasn't done. Bummer. I decided to save her the embarassment and forgo it. There is a costume contest and Emma got 2nd place. She lost only to the Plague. Yes, someone dressed up AS the Plague. Wierd, but I guess you just can't deny that kind of creative thinking. She's still #1 to me. And you know what? She really did WANT me to go after all. Sometimes you just can't win.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Bill Hunter said...

Great job on the dress! And congrats on 2nd place. After all, "First is the worst, second is the best."

- Crystal

LBBlum said...

Hey thanks for stopping by! (on my blog...:0) I miss you guys--especially when you were driving on your way out of town.. but quickly would stop to give me your milk and such that would spoil.
BINGO!
Always brightened my day!

Love the dress.. I laughed that the girls thought it improper to cut up a wedding dress...lol... I say good use of the material.. the girls will wear it more now than ever before!