Wednesday, December 24, 2008

What is Christmas about?

My sister requested that we all write down our favorite Christmas memories, a story, poem or maybe just some thoughts about Christmas. And then, strangely, Richard requested the same thing a few days later. So, I thought I'd get the kids together and talk about our favorite Christmas memories. We brainstormed a bit, but it was like pulling teeth to get a real, and positive, memory out of any of them. So, this is what we came up with (I'm just keeping it real here):
Maddie- wrote a poem in couplet form expressing commentary that she hasn't had a good Christmas since she was about 4 years old.
Emma- plagiarized a poem from the computer about how pretty Christmas tree ornaments are.
Lauren wrote-(sic)
Christmas is about love and caring--not presnts. But sometimes you like the presonts more. But if you wish for Christmas all the time Santa just runs out of presnts and then you get no more presnts. P.S. I hope you all have a mary Christmas like me.
We talked a little about how the topic sentence didn't really go with the rest of the paragraph and she told me that she only put that because she thought she was supposed to say that.
Ellie wrote-(sic)
I love my familie. Christmas is about loveing not about gifts. And Christmas is about Jesus being born.
(Can you tell that Ellie is very concerned about having the right answer at all times?)
So, that's where we stand on Christmas right now--cynical and immature, but trying to think the "right" thing. I think we'll stick with the traditional Christmas stories at our house for a few more years. They're filled with so much more joy and love.

3 comments:

Maddie said...

That's not what I meant by my poem! I thought it was cute. I love Christmas and we've had great once SINCE I was four.

Sandra said...

Okay. Perhaps I feel sensitive and am reading more into it than was intended. It was very well written. Thank you for your contribution. Would you like to post it?

Maddie said...

...Not really