Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Spelling Help




For those of you who know Lauren very well you may have guessed that she's more of a tactile/kinesthetic learner. She has been struggling with spelling for a while now, so I've had to pull out the "big guns" of education. Last week for her spelling homework, instead of having her write her words down everyday (like she is supposed to do--and HATES), I had her play spelling activities.

Day 1--Salt Spelling: I sprinkled salt on a cookie sheet and had her write the words with her fingers in the salt.

Day 2--Shaving Creme: I put shaving creme on a plastic cutting sheet with a dab of purple tempra paint and let her write the words in the shaving creme.

Day 3--Kool-Aid paint. (Thanks for this one, Brooke) I made paint out of Kool-Aid packets and let her paint her words with a Q-tip.

Day 4--Pre test. She wrote the words.

Day 5--Spelling test came home with 9/10 correct. Yeah!!! That's much better than she's been getting and I was so proud of her.
*Disclaimer--I don't know why she's such a ham and why she thinks she has to wear lipstick all the time. Aint she cute?

2 comments:

Joni said...

HOly Crap! I remember those aprons!

That is a genius idea of getting Lauren to do her spelling. It makes me happy when parents make things work for the individual needs of their kids.

I don't know if I would have been smart enough to think of that.

Brooke said...

You are so awesome, Sandra! I am inspired for sure.