Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Update on Brussels Sprouts

I've confirmed it for you all. No need to try it yourself. They're really yucky!
I went with the marinated brussels sprouts because it specifically called for frozen sprouts which is what I had. It called for tarragon vinegar. I couldn't find it at the grocery store I went to, but I did have some basil vinegar on hand. I figured that small substitute probably wouldn't make that much of a difference. But maybe, because what I got turned out to be quite awful. But I'm thinking the basil/tarragon differential couldn't have changed the outcome all that much. I don't think there is a seasoning out there that could cover up that nasty taste. Let me try to describe the taste. Imagine the taste of the broccoli stalk mixed with the core of a cabbage with just a hint of ear wax. Then top it off with saurkraut (that might have been just my recipe with the vinegar) all tucked into a tiny head of cabbage; lots and lots of little, tiny bitter leaves-delicate and disgusting.
Truly, these are not meant for human consumption. I did manage to gag down two of them, but I felt like I was on Fear Factor and my kids were cheering me on. They might have been better blended with a few mealworms or grasshoppers. Do not do it.
Next up will be eggplant. Any recipe suggestions? It can't be worse than brussels sprouts.

3 comments:

Cloves said...

I hear Eggplant lasagne is good.

westonbeal said...

In all my years on this green globe I've met one person who claims to actually LIKE brussel sprouts. Even she said that you have to select them carefully.

I've had some pretty bad eggplant, but last week we went to a Moroccan restaurant where they mad it good. It looked like an horrifying glob of brown seaweed to begin with. I think it was stewed in wonderful spices and maybe some other vegetable. When I finally worked up the courage to put some on the pita bread I was amazed at how good it was. Since I was expecting Fear Factor Food, this far exceeded my expectation.

Brooke said...

Serious Fear Factor indeed. That was the greatest taste description ever too! Ear wax and sauerkraut! Sure to be a crowd-pleaser!

Thanks for taking on this project for the rest of us.